Welcome to the Doves!
Welcome to Year 3. During this term, we hope that the children will enjoy the exciting activities that we have planned and will work hard to achieve their best. We will be finding out about the Ancient Egyptians. The children will investigate men and women who studied the kingdoms and explore their discoveries. We will also look at some of the Pharaohs and the development of the pyramids, as well as look at the role of the River Nile. To finish the topic, we will consider evidence of Ancient Egypt that exists today.
During our Science topic on forces and magnets, the children will compare how things move on different surfaces. They will notice that forces need contact between two objects but magnetic forces act at a distance. The children will compare and group together everyday materials on the basis of whether they are attracted to a magnet and predict whether magnets will attract or repel, depending on which poles are facing.
In maths, we will be looking at place value, problem solving, properties of shapes and developing the pupils’ mental arithmetic. During English, we will focus on autobiographies and explanation texts as well as working hard to develop the pupils reading and comprehension skills.
Home Learning: The children will receive their spellings on a Friday but they will be given some opportunities during the week to practise these. All children will receive a homework grid at the beginning of the school term and are expected to complete any six activities on the grid by the end of term.
Throughout the year, Miss Martin and Mrs Beard will be supporting the children to develop their expertise in all areas of the curriculum and will help me provide specific, targeted support to pupils within the class to enhance their learning and support them to use their Magdalen Values.
For your information:
- Children should continue to read as often as possible to an adult at home.
- Reading books need to be in school every day.
- Spellings are given out on a Friday and tested the following Friday.
- Homework grids for the term have been given to the children but can also be found on our website.
- The children will need their PE kits in school every Tuesday and Wednesday, however, it is best to leave these in school for the whole week in case of any unexpected changes to the timetable. Children should have an outdoor kit which includes trainers, as, weather permitting, we will try to go outside for some lessons.
- Please ensure that all items of clothing are clearly labelled to avoid losses or confusion.
Please remember, if you have any questions or concerns please do not hesitate to come and see me.
Mrs Page (Class Teacher) email@example.com